Friday, July 28, 2006

Fat Attack!

I usually check out the news articles posted on the MSN homepage. They are there when I log on, so why not? One in particular caught my attention this evening, and I linked to an article about the worst fast food offerings out there.

You can read the entire article here. I've quoted a few sections that just made my stomach churn and my toes curl.

McDonald’s Deluxe Breakfast is a smorgasbord of bad-for-you foods—including eggs, sausage, pancakes smothered in syrup and margarine, hash browns and a biscuit. In moderation, any of these items could be an OK (if occasional) breakfast, but add them together and you’re looking at a grand total of 1,220 calories, 550 of them from fat, including 17 grams of saturated fat.

Burger King’s Triple Whopper With Cheese is a perfect example of why more is not better. A regular Whopper With Cheese already delivers 760 calories, 47 grams of total fat including 16
grams of saturated fat. But when you triple it up, this meal tips the scales at 1,230 calories and 82 grams of fat including 32 grams of saturated fat. (And that’s before you order a side of fries!)


Popping into Cinnabon for a Caramel Pecanbon isn’t exactly a breakfast of champions. This gooey pastry packs 1,100 calories and 56 grams of fat, while providing virtually no worthwhile nutrients.

The fried chicken seems like an obviously unhealthy choice at KFC, but it’s actually not the fattiest item on the menu. The Mashed Potato Bowl With Gravy contains 690 calories and 31 grams of fat, nine of them saturated.


Makes me want to go eat an apple.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Yeah, but that mashed potato bowl thing is the yummiest thing ever.

Zonk said...

It seems to me that cholesterol is what the good Lord put in food to make it taste good. Low-cholesterol diets usually consist of water and boiled sawdust, with an occasional glass of Metamucil for variety.

Ah, the good old days; did you know that my mother actually made us eat carbohydrates? And eggs?

I think I'll run out to McDonald's for that Deluxe Breakfast - if only for nostalgic reasons...

:D:D:D

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

Ah, but once in a while those low-cholesterol diets allow you to toss in almonds and fresh fruit. ;)

And to think I once thought that a tuna sub was good for me. ::sigh::