Sunday, July 30, 2006

More Eighties Remakes?

You know, I think Hollywood is in trouble. And the first sign of trouble is the lack of creativity spewing forth from the local cineplex. And perhaps the most troubling sign of all is the proliferation of remakes. Not just TV show-turned movie. I'm talking about remaking a movie that's less than twenty years old.

The two most recent (and horrifying) examples? Revenge of the Nerds and Adventures in Babysitting. I kid you not.

How do you top Anthony Edwards, Robert Carradine, Timothy Busfield, Curtis Armstrong, and Brian Tochi? Seriously. How???? You don't. If this becomes another Ben Stiller/Vince Vaughn vehicle, I think I'm going to vomit. Nevermind the fact that they are too old for the parts....

And AiB? Starring Raven-Symone? I think my heart just stopped as I typed those words. Um, anyone remember the story? Suburban white kids lost in the bad streets of Chicago? Elisabeth Shue singing in a black jazz club? Can you really see Disney allowing Raven to utter the infamous line, "Don't f*ck with the babysitter"?

I mentioned remakes to my roommate last night, lamenting to her: "Why do they have to keep remaking the classics?" I paused, thought about it, and then deadpanned, "I guess it wouldn't make sense to remake a bad movie."

Unfortunately, what tends to happens is that remakes of good movies become bad movies.

Another vicious cycle.

5 comments:

Matt said...

wtf? Adventures in Babysitting? That makes me physically ill.

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

The original, or the fact that they are remaking it? :p

Ace said...

Shameless to remake a classic like AiB. Hollywood has definitely run out of ideas.

cesarcarlos said...

Yup, there's an epidemic all right. And we're yet to expect remakes from such films as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Fly (why??? why the Fly??? There's no way they can beat Cronemberg!), Evil Dead, The Entity, etc.

What's really scary is knowing that 10 years or so from now we might be witnessing the remakes of movies like Sixth Sense, Sin City, Pirates of the Caribbean, Spiderman, etc...

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

Well, I've seen the teaser trailer for the new TMNT film. It's all CGI, and even if the story sucks, it will probably be visually stunning.

As for "The Fly," Cronenberg's version was already a remake of Vincent Price's film. No originality in remaking a remake.