Friday, August 18, 2006

AW Blog Chain, Round Four

I should have saved my previous post for the Blog Chain, as the subject of parents came up in Simon's post at The Hal Spacejock Series. Alas, I shall endeavor to write something new for my entry into Chain #4.

His mention of Australia jogged my memory a bit. I still keep in touch with a small group of friends from high school, mostly guys my own age (I was always the girl that guys were friends with, but never dated). For the last few years, we've been tossing around plans for a trip to Australia one summer. Go over for a week, hang out and see the lovely country. I'm not sure why we picked Australia, but I'd love to go. I've always wanted to go.

The trouble is that I am poor. I work in retail, and I'm lucky if I net $20 grand a year. I have student loans, credit card bills, car insurance, rent, and utilities every month, which leaves very little grocery and fun money. That last few times I tried to save some money up, my car broke. So I'm not tempting fate again.

One of my best friends called me a few weeks ago, and he mentioned the Australia trip.

Did I still want to go?
Of course!


But they are thinking next year or the year after, and I don't know if I can save that much. And I tell him that.

What if money wasn't an issue?
Um, Eric, my friend, money will always be an
issue.
But what if it isn't?
Then I guess I'd be in.


He offered to pay for me. Out of the blue and like it wasn't even a big deal. Eric and I have known each other since the first grade. Twenty years, next month. Even if I don't end up taking his offer (I teeter very close to that "too proud to accept charity" line), I am amazed at his generosity in offering.

It's a wonderful feeling, to know that I have friends like that.

The next link in the chain is Of Chapters and Reels.


Also, here is the entire Round 4 Line-Up.

Peregrinas
Pass the Torch
The Road Less Travelled
Fireflies in the Cloud
Even in a Little Thing
The Secret Government Eggo Project
Curiouser and Curiouser
At Home, Writing
Mad Scientist Matt's Lair
I, Misanthrope - The Dairy of a Dyslexic Writer
Beyond the Great Chimney Production Log
Flying Shoes
Everything Indian
The Hal Spacejock Series
Organized Chaos
Of Chapters and Reels
Just a Small town girl
Midnight Muse
Kappa no He

15 comments:

Simon Haynes said...

What a nice gesture! There are good people out there after all.

Cath Smith said...

Friends can be pretty amazing sometimes, can't they. :)

Brian said...

Ah, the kindness of a true friend. Maybe you could say yes to your friend, as long as you could pay a small part of it, or offer your friend a trade with something that you can do for him that cost in time and not money.

I always feel very guilty when folks are so kind to me, and it has taken a long time for me to get comfortable accepting their gifts. It still makes me feel a bit awkward.

Anonymous said...

Go. That's all I can say. Trust me, a trip like this is once in a lifetime. You know you also have other friends that will help in any way possible, especially those that just got promoted. We'll talk later. ;) {{hugs}}

Wendy Gunderson said...

Oh,you must go! When a friend offers a gift with sincerity,it's a gift of love. If you really feel like you have to "pay it back" you'll find ways to do so, but you may never again have this moment of adventure.

Don't wait for the perfect opportunity in life, when the door opens just a tiny bit, squeeze through.

Anonymous said...

What an offer, and what a friend that wants to make sure you experiance the trip with them :)

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

Wow! You guys are amazing with your kind and supportive words. Thank you so much. :)

And anonymous? I know, and thanks. :D

Anonymous said...

I was once given a trip by a friend and it was one of those very special times that sparkle in memory. It wasn't just a matter of getting overseas with no money - it was also that I *knew* I was wanted. Big gift. Take it.

Anonymous said...

I vote go. :)

When I've been in financial hell, I've had people do things to help me. I'd protest that I couldn't pay them back, but the answer I inevitably got was, "We ain't asking you to" and "When you see someone else who needs help, give to them."

I've done that - paid my debt to other people with the same request to help someone else.

Your friends obviously value your companionship. They sound like great friends. Go. :) And have a great, guilt-free time. :)

Kelly Curtis said...

Wow. What a great friend.

I'd go. I'd work my butt off to pay 'em back eventually, but I'd go.

Mad Scientist Matt said...

That's a wonderful friend there. Maybe the proverb should have been "A friend who's still a friend when you're in need is a friend indeed."

Unknown said...

I'd say go for it. The opportunity may never come again. And ditto what Wendy said. :-)

Matt said...

That's awesome.

Hey, ask Eric if I can borrow twenty bucks.

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

Will do, Matt. ;)

And thanks again, everyone.

Me said...

I hope you have read the book Down Under by Bill Bryson. A lovely travel journal of a British/American writer.