Friday, September 25, 2009

Prey - Spoilers!

Prey (Shifters, #4) Prey by Rachel Vincent


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I only first picked up "Stray" last month, and once I received the rest of the books from Amazon, I dove into them, finally finishing with "Prey" last night. Finished it after lusting over the last 200 pages for five hours at work! Know when I had to put the book down and go to work? Right around the time Jace and Kaci came racing out of the woods. ARG!!!!

This is my favorite so far. The tension is high almost from the start, because of all the events of previous books, and it never relents until the final showdown. Faythe is pummeled, both literally and figuratively, from all directions in this one, and she's finally starting to grow up and act like the leader she's going to be.

One of the things I love the most about this series is that Ms. Vincent isn't afraid to punish her characters. Not just physically, but also emotionally. They don't always get what they want. There isn't always a happy outcome. But the characters persevere.


SPOILERS!!!!!

SERIOUSLY, SPOILERS!


I like an author that makes the sacrifices for the sake of the story, so kudos for having the guts to kill off Ethan. And for having a deft writing hand and the ability to make the scenes afterward bleed with emotion and grief. Well done.

I am now with the rest of Ms. Vincent's fans, eagerly awaiting "Shift" next year.

View all my reviews >>

4 comments:

Mardel said...

I absolutely loved Prey. I think it's Rachel's best so far. I have to admit I didn't like the previous book quite as much (not a huge difference) but this one made me sad, pissed and happy. A writer has done her/his job if he makes me feel emotions like that. HaHa-especially at my age!

Tyhitia Green said...

I haven't read any of Rachel's work yet. She's on my TBR pile. :-)

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

Mardel - I agree. PRIDE felt a bit static compared to the others. A lot of necessary setup for future events. But still a great read.

DH - She was on my TBR pile for almost two years. Once I started the series, I couldn't stop. :)

Unknown said...

I thought the series has gotten better as it has went along.