Monday, September 15, 2008

Shiny Pretty Thing

So I was all set to post some pix of the Pretty Thing I received via FedEx Overnight. Only I seem to have killed the cord that connects my digital camera to my computer (apparently my iced Dunkin' Donuts coffee sweated all over and around the coaster, and then leaked into the tip of the cord, causing malfunction). Hopefully Wal-Mart has a replacement, because the nearest Circuit City (where I bought it in the first place) is a half-hour away. Blah.

Anywho, onto the Pretty Thing.

It's a printed copy of my manuscript, complete with penciled notes and my very first editorial letter. *bounces* I received a copy of the letter on Friday, via email, so I've had plenty of time to mull over the notes and changes. Now I can sit down and really comb through it, page by page.

For me, editing is a challenge. It's a way of saying, "What can I do to make this story BETTER?" Because no story is ever perfect, but as authors, it's our job to make it the very best we possibly can before sharing it with others.

I just wish I didn't have to go to work in four hours. *sigh*

7 comments:

JKB said...

YAY for you! This is so exciting...I'm so happy for you!

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

Thank you! It's quite the experience, I'll tell ya. :)

Brian Jay Jones said...

It's also the place where you go, "Oh man! I liked this part! It was . . . I mean. No, wait....

"Crap. My editor is right."

*scratches out beautful not-so-golden words*

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

It's also me sitting there, thinking, "how did I get this far with so many contradictions in logic?"

Thankfully, all fixable. :)

Courtney Allison Moulton said...

Yay!!! How exciting!! This is Mythica from AW by the way XD I've been waiting for you to post news and you have! I remember reading your Query in the critique forum and thinking the book sounded so cool, so it's so great to hear you've got a deal! Congrats!! Can't wait to see it on the shelves ^___^

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

Thanks, Mythica! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly! Congrats on the sale to Bantam!! Isn't it an amazing feeling? I wanted to drop you an email because it looks like we share an editor, but couldn't find one on your site. If you feel inclined, I'd love to hear from you! (diana at dianarowland dot com )

Again, awesome congratulations!!