Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This was didn't make a 5-star book for me because of the slow beginning. I started it six days ago, got about seventy pages in, and put it down. It took me five days to pick it back up. I was having a hard time seeing what was so special (other than the hook).

Doing my duty as an aunt and babysitting my infant niece last night, I had a block of four hours to sit down and read, so I took this book. And couldn't put it down. Once Katniss begins the steps that take her to the playing field, the story really kicks into high gear, and I was sucked back in.

And wow. I sobbed at least three times. It was impossible to forget that these were KIDS! which just added to the tragedy. The tension was wonderfully done throughout Parts 2 and 3, and the final solution to the Games was perfect.

Now that I've given the book a chance, I'm very eager for the sequel next month.

View all my reviews >>

2 comments:

Tyhitia Green said...

Hi Kelly,
This HorrorWriter from AW! I cannot wait to read your book when it comes out. I'm excited for ya.

A friend told me about the HUNGER GAMES. I'm going to pick it up soon. Everyone has had good things to say about it. :-)

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

Hi HorrorWriter! Great to see you!

I picked up THG for the same reason, and I'm so glad I did.